Reading books on your smartphone is a very interesting thing while you are in travelling. To be honest, I usually prefer reading paper books instead of digital copies of books. But it is too difficult to carry the books when you are on a trip.
The big benefit of eBooks is that I can carry hundreds of books in one iPad. eReader apps will help you to read an eBook from your device. There are thousands of epub Readers for iPad are available in the app store.
Finding the right epub readers for iPad (also called eReaders) can be difficult. There are a variety of eBook types, plenty of file formats to deal with, and then there are different kinds of books (novels, comics, etc) that make the whole experience a little complicated. However, with the right app, you can turn any phone or tablet into an eBook reader. Following is a handpicked list of top ePub reader apps with their features.
Best epub Readers for iPad and iPhone
Marvin 3 is a widely popular eBook reader for iPad and iPhone. With over 150 new features and enhancements, Marvin is the perfect companion for people who are passionate about their books and comics. The app brings support for reading DRM-free ePub books. Plus, if you like reading comics and manga, it also supports CBR and CBX comics on your iPad which is great.
Marvin also offers a bunch of extra features that you’d not find in the Books app. You can side-load your own fonts, integrate it with GoodReads, and a lot more. It also offers a Karaoke feature for speed-reading, whole book page numbering, photo explorer, and a fully customizable multi-column mode among a host of other features
- support for ePub, CBR and CBX
- Karaoke feature for speed-reading
- Integrates with Calibre, OPDS, and other libraries
- Multi-theme UI with optional automatic light/dark switching.
- Supports all the latest iOS technologies including Split View, Slide Over, Spotlight, Touch ID, Today Widgets, iCloud, and iPad Pro.
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Not entirely free, some features are paywalled.
Apple book /iBooks
Apple book formerly known as iBook is an ebook reading and storing application by Apple Inc. Initially, iBooks was not pre-loaded onto iOS devices, but users could install it free of charge. With the release of iOS 8, it became an integrated app that is one the best epub readers for iPad.
- Apple Books (under name iBooks) started to render text written in 18 different languages
- Users of the application can change the font and text size displayed.
- Users can adjust screen brightness from within the application.
- iBookstore is a bit clunky
- Originally, there were three viewing background themes to choose from, except when reading PDF documents.
- Normal: black text on a white background
- Sepia: sepia text on an off-white background
- Night: light grey text on a black background
If you’re the type of person who likes an unlimited subscription service for your content and doesn’t mind shelling out some cash every month, Scribd has other been called the “Netflix for books”. Much like its nickname would indicate, Scribd, has a huge library of books, audiobooks, magazines, newspapers, and more that you can access for a monthly subscription fee, which varies in price depending on what tier you choose.
The app itself is extremely well organized and easy to navigate, plus all the typical functionality of great e-reader apps are included. You’ll be able to annotate, highlight text, and use bookmarks whenever you please, all while being able to customize the look. Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
All content read or listen to on Scribd can be synced across multiple devices, and there are special features that are included in your membership at no additional cost, including:
FEATURES FOR THE AUDIOBOOK LISTENER
- Customize your narration speed
- Set a sleep timer
- Download audiobooks to listen offline
FEATURES FOR THE EBOOK READER
- Download ebooks to read offline
- Make notes and annotations, and add bookmarks
- Customize your font size, type, and background color
- Choose horizontal or vertical page scrolling
FEATURES FOR THE DOCUMENT / EPUB READER
- Download documents to read offline
- Save or print your documents
This is one of the excellent epub Readers for iPad and iPhone for those who are into modern and ancient classics. It provides a shortened version of the book to give you a quick idea of what you’re reading about without missing any of the crucial parts. It’s basically designed for users who cannot find the time to read their favourite classics.
Users receive a new issue from a book each day, while there is a total of 650 books to choose from on this app. Every issue the user receives can be read in under 20 minutes or less, helping you gradually finish that book by spending less than half an hour each day.
- Read hundreds of popular classic books for free
- Customize with a variety of themes and fonts
- Automatically serialize your own EPUB books (beta)
- Sync your reading progress to Goodreads
- Easily lookup words in the dictionary & Wikipedia
- Earn fun badges and track your reading streaks
- Read tomorrow’s issue – or the entire book – whenever you want
- Sync your reading across multiple devices
- Save quotes & notes while reading
- Save books to read later
- Pause delivery of new issues
- Pick specific delivery days and hours for new issues
- Read all classic books and hundreds more for free in Serial Reader!
- Requires iOS 13.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Hyphen is a powerful, easy-to-use ePub reader for iPad designed from the ground up with you in mind, with cross-device syncing, super-fast rendering, effortless customization, and intuitive annotation features.
Start on one device, finish on another. Your entire library – books, annotations, bookmarks, and all – is synced between devices via iCloud.
Personalize Your Reading Experience
Hyphen comes packed with a ton of options for custom colors, fonts, font sizes, line heights, paragraph indentations, margins – …well, you get the idea. You can even use styling on a per-book basis.
Highlight and Annotate Effortlessly
Tap-and-drag or use the selection handles to highlight in any one of several available colors. Write notes for a highlight and refer to them any time you need to. You can also share highlights as images and post them to Twitter or Facebook or export all your highlights for use elsewhere.
Use Goodreads? We’ve got you covered – shelve books, make status updates and post quotes, all right from the app.
Add Books with Ease
Add ePubs using your favourite cloud services – Dropbox, Google Drive, OPDS servers, and more. You can also use the in-app web browser to download ePubs or add them using iTunes.
- Provide two column support
- Incredibly faster on downloading and importing of new books
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Bluefire Reader is an Anne ebook reader application for android, iOS and Windows operating systems that support white labeling. It supports the ePub and PDF formats for digital publications and incorporates facilities for browsing online catalogs and downloading them directly into the user’s personal library.
The application features a library that lets users navigate their collection of eBooks, as well as provides a customizable reading experience through configurable font and background color, font size and type, margin size, display brightness, page turn mode, etc. Additionally, the application allows users to import their own books to read them on the go. These features made us add this app to our list of best epub readers for iPad and iphone.
- In-app browsing and downloading capability
- Adjust front, background, link, layout & text alignment
- Day/Night themes: switch between day/night mode when reading in high/low-luminosity areas
- Customizable navigation modes
- Bookmarks: allows users to create their own bookmarks anywhere in a book to remember sections of interest
- Progress: allows users to check their reading progress in a chapter and in a book
- Share: allows users to recommend books to others via email, Facebook, Twitter, SMS…
- The reading engine automatically adjusts to the size of the device’s display
- Sort books by title, author, download late, last read date or rating
- Import: allows users to import their own books to read them on the go
- allows users to quickly access any position within a book
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
KyBook 3, similar to Marvin 3 (the third version of the popular eBook reader app Marvin), is the latest offering and update over the KyBook app. It comes with a modern design and offers an easy-to-use interface with a wide catalog of books to choose from.
Besides eBooks, the app also provides a huge collection of audiobooks. It is undoubtedly one of the top epub readers for iPad available out there for the users.
Some of the supported eBook file formats include ePub, PDF, FB2, CBR, TXT, RTF, among others. Besides, you also get different themes, color schemes, page turn animations, automatic scrolling, and TTS support. Moreover, this epub reader for iPad gives the option to bookmark, annotate, get meaning for words, and translate words into different languages.
- KyBook 3 has a bunch of customization settings that allow you to change fonts, text size, paragraph indentation, margins, etc.
- automatically extract metadata for eBooks and edit them with a few simple steps.
- KyBook supports all the major e-book formats, OPDS catalogues and Cloud Storage.
- Comfortable reading mode
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
These are some of the best recommendations for the ePub readers for iPad. Using these Apps, you can enjoy your favourite eBooks in ePub or any other eBook file format on the go. What apps do you use to read ePubs, it is completely up to you.
please tell us in the comments who do you find the best in our list of best epub readers for Ipad and iPhone and also if we have missed any of your favorite epub readers for iPad then tell us in the comments and we will add them surely in our revised list.