Here in this article, we will let you know how you can back up and restore Signal chats on an Android device, and will also tell you how you can manage your local backups and the safest measures of the Signal app
But still something remains like a question in the mind of every user whether they use WhatsApp or Signal they are more concerned about their privacy that no can harm them. Every Signal user wants to be aware of how their conversations or chats are backed up and restored whether it will be backed up on the cloud or somewhere else.
The signal is incredibly high in demand as it also high on the security ladder, this application does not backup any of your data by default. In this application, the backups are local which means it will be backed up on your device and not on Signal’s servers or cloud servers like iCloud, drive, and all. The Signal app has incredible features in the matter of privacy.
Here in this article, we will let you know how you can back up and restore Signal chats on an Android device, and will also tell you how you can manage your local backups and the safest measures of the Signal app, so here we go-
How to Enable Signal Chats Back Up on Android
By default as mentioned above, Signal does not Back Up any of your data on any cloud platform which is very good for your privacy. Signal automatically keeps Back Ups disabled on your device. It means if you want to back up your data please be ensure you don’t lose your data. If you are switching to a new smartphone from the older one firstly you have to enable the backups. So here we go-
- Open the Signal app on your device and then click on the “profile icon” appears on the top left corner. Then click on ‘chats and media’.
- Moving downwards click on ‘chat back ups’ and then click on ‘Turn on’ to enable chat backups on signal.
- The application will ask you to select a folder from the device where it will save the backups.
- Here Signal will show you a passcode on a pop up menu. Keep it safe or took a screenshot of this because without this you will not be able to restore your backups on your device in future. Click on ‘enable backups’ once you have noted the passcode.
- Now, you can click on ‘create backup’ to create a new backup whenever you want. It will also notify you that when you have created the last backup on your device.
How to Restore Signal Chats Back Up on Android
As mentioned above, you have already created a backup for your Signal chats on your device, now we will tell you that how can you restore your Signal Chats Backups on your phone. Remember that there are two cases when you need to restore your backed up chats- either you are reinstalling the Signal app on your phone or you have switched to a new smartphone entirely. Let’s learn how to restore Signal Chats backup on Android for both these cases.
Restoration on same phone while re-installing Signal app
- Here in this case you just have to re-install the Signal Application on your device.
- While signing-in in the Application it will ask you for restoration on a pop-up menu, just click on the ‘Restore backup’.
- After clicking give the required permissions to the App and then tap on ‘choose backup’ menu.
- Select the backup file from where the folder or path you have saved earlier and then click on ‘restore backup’.
- Now it will ask you for the backup passphrase it shows you earlier. Enter the passcode and then click on restore button.
- Your data will now be restored successfully.
Restoration on new smartphone
- Just copy the backed up file from your old smartphone device into a folder of your new smartphone.
- Install the Signal Application on your new phone and follow the same process of re-installing Signal as mentioned above. It’s that simple!
Note that you can only backup chats from Android to Android and from iOS to iOS devices. You cannot backup Signal chats on Android and can’t restore them on iOS.
So, Here I am concluding that there are No Doubt that everyone is concerned about their privacy but here in the Signal application they are meant to be what they can do for their users privacy. They have given their best in the development of this application keeping in mind that every users want their data to be safe and secure.
If you have any suggestions please tell us in the comment box so that we can improve. Hope you liked our article regarding How to Back Up and Restore Signal Chats on Android in 2021