GTA 6 release date is the new bang for the users and more leaks have come out this year so if you are a GTA fan then this article is for you.
Grand Theft Auto (GTA) is a series of action-adventure games created by David Jones and Mike Dailly. Later titles were developed under the oversight of brothers Dan and Sam Houser, Leslie Benzies and Aaron Garbut. It is primarily developed by British development house Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design), and published by its parent company, Rockstar Games. The name of the series references the term “grand theft auto”, used in the United States for motor vehicle theft.
Focuses on an open world where the player can complete missions to progress an overall story, as well as engage in various side activities. Most of the gameplay revolves around driving and shooting, with occasional role-playing and stealth elements.
The series also has elements of the earlier beat ’em up games from the 16-bit era. The games in the Grand Theft Auto series are set in fictional locales modeled after real-life cities, at various points in time from the early 1960s to the 2010s.
GTA 6 in development? Well, even though Rockstar Games hasn’t officially confirmed that it’s working on another installment in the Grand Theft Auto franchise, everyone seems to think so. Believe it or not, it’s been over seven years since GTA 5 launched at the tail end of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 generation of consoles.
That’s a long time ago, so even though next-gen enhanced versions of GTA 5 are on the way and GTA Online is thriving, a full-blown new Grand Theft Auto game feels inevitable.
The problem is, it’s hard to know for sure as Rockstar is keeping extremely quiet and isn’t likely to show anything before it’s ready. Now that 2021 is here and the new console generation is well and truly underway with the PS5 and Xbox Series X, we’re hoping some kind of announcement is coming. Most reports suggest that the game is still early in its development, though, meaning that if an announcement does happen, any release date is likely to be a while away yet.
We still don’t have official confirmation and details are thin on the ground but that hasn’t stopped us collating the best bits of gossip, rumour and fact for your perusal. The Grand Theft Auto community is hungry for news and that’s resulted in some very interesting theories. Here’s everything we know so far about GTA 6.
GTA 6 release Leaks
GTA 6 is the focus of an alleged new leak which could have revealed tonnes of new info about the next Grand Theft Auto. The alleged leaked GTA 6 info was rounded up in a post on Reddit. A potential GTA 6 release date, details on the story, characters, setting and more were all covered. In terms of a GTA 6 release date, the alleged leaker said the target window for the new GTA game’s launch is October 2023.
They said the console versions are being prioritised first with an optimised PC build releasing afterwards and they said the GTA 6 reveal announcement could happen as early as spring 2022. However, it’s important to point out this GTA 6 ‘leak’ originated from notorious internet message board 4chan.
The 4chan site has been home to plenty of fake leaks over the years, as well as the occasional legitimate one – such as the first details of Pokémon Let’s Go leaking before it was officially announced.
And while Redditors have said to take this latest info with a “grain of salt” there is something different about this GTA 6 ‘leak’ than others. The alleged leak made plenty of claims about GTA 6 so we’ll go through the main talking points bit by bit.
The 4chan poster said that like with Red Dead Redemption 2 the online version of GTA 6 will launch a few months after the single player game. However, online in GTA 6 will be more grounded than GTA 5 – so no more flying cars or anything like that.
In terms of the GTA 6 story, the alleged leaker said the story will be around 60 hours long, have a chapter system similar to RDR2 with the first two chapters set in the late 70s. There will allegedly be one male protagonist codenamed Ricardo and the main map covers Miami – if that’s the case it would mean a return to Vice City. The leak also said there’s another smaller map which has limited interaction.
The alleged leaker said the “map is smaller than RDR2 but way dense” and that the mission structure in GTA 6 is supposed to be “quite free”. The 4chan post also claimed that the first Red Dead Redemption is being remastered and will launch before GTA 6. As always with rumours, it’s best to take it with a big pinch of salt until official confirmation.
Here are some of the other main talking points of this alleged GTA 6 leak. The game could launch anytime between 2021-2023 based on multiple conflicting rumours and some theory crafting based on the evidence we have at hand. Rockstar Leeds have been well known for their supporting work on the GTA PlayStation Portable titles such as Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories and Chinatown Wards.
They have also assisted Rockstar North with the development of GTA 5. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume this role will work directly with the development of GTA 6, given the studio’s history. But according to BGR, a new GTA game may not release until 2021. This is further cemented by industry expert and former Rockstar employee, Darion Lowenstein, who suggested the earliest we would see the game is 2021 as well as Investment advice firm Intrepid Capital Funds.
Karl Slatoff confirmed that Take-Two expects to release a total of 93 new titles in the next five years. Before you get excited about a possible GTA 6 release, Take-Two stated that “larger titles” are set to launch after Mar 2021 which means the ‘2020’ release date is off the table. A marketing budget for publisher Take-Two may indicate that GTA 6 is set for a 2023/24 release (according to Venture Beat).
They intend to spend $89 million on marketing during the 12-month period ending 31st March 2024 – this is more than double the marketing budget for any other discal year over the next half-decade, according to the company’s recent 10-K SEC filing. But, Take-Two has played down speculation about that the unusually high marketing commitments for the 2024 fiscal year being related to GTA 6 and is in fact due to external parties.
There are lots of rumours are coming according to the GTA 6 release. We can use the following points for a quick reference,
- The next GTA title has been in development since 2012, but production didn’t begin properly until 2015, but even then, the team was focusing more on Red Dead Redemption 2.
- It’s another Rockstar Worldwide Production.
- Codename is PROJECT AMERICAS.
- Set in both Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro.
- Some linear missions take place in Liberty City, but it isn’t an open world (think Ludendorff in GTA 5).
- Game will balance realism and arcade and it won’t be as realistic as Red Dead Redemption 2.
- One playable protagonist: male, not female, despite supposed leaks.
- Set in 1970s-1980s.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named “Ricardo”. Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new large South American area before making connections with big time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities.
- There will also be a giant prison which will play a part in the game.
- Will feature a ‘chapter’ system similar to a Tarantino flick or Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Weather is a heavy focus (hurricanes, floods, etc).
- Buildings change over the eras, vehicles too. So older, rare classic cars get more expensive as time progresses etc. Full economy.
- Heavily inspired by Netflix’s Narcos.
- They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack.
- A younger Martin Madrazo will make an appearance as will his father who is a big drug lord at the time. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
- Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but bigger. Think the GTA Online system and dial it up to 10.
- You can only have weapons on your person. No arsenal in your back pocket, like Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Your personal vehicle will be like your horse saddle in Red Dead Redemption 2. All your equipment is stored in the trunk. You also store your body armour in the car. If you wear it, it appears, no longer just an invisible thing.
- There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts, very immersive, like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you’re in South America, don’t expect to hear much English. Vice City however is a mix of everything, but mostly English.
- Last bit of narrative info, it will discuss topics such as HIV and the immigration crisis of the time. A fictional version of Fidel Castro etc.
- Next gen only, not PS4 or Xbox One [aka PS5 and Xbox Project Scarlett].
- GTA 6 is now their primary focus, alongside another title (which might be Bully 2).
- Game is still in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.
- No ETA on a release date.